Neil Conway wrote:
Mike Mascari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Is there any thought about changing the protocol to support
two-phase commit? Not that 2PC and distributed transactions would be
implemented in 7.4, but to prevent another protocol change in the
future?
My understanding is that 2PC is one way to implement multi-master
replication. If that's what you're referring to, then I'm not sure I
see the point: the multi-master replication project (pgreplication)
doesn't use 2PC, due to apparent scalability problems (not to mention
that it also uses a separate channel for communications between
backends on different nodes).
Actually, I was thinking along the lines of a true CREATE DATABASE LINK implementation, where multiple databases could participate in a distributed transaction. That would require the backend in which the main query is executing to act as the "coordinator" and each of the other participating databases to act as "cohorts". And would require a protocol change to support the PREPARE, COMMIT-VOTE/ABORT-VOTE reply, and an ACK message following the completion of the distributed COMMIT or ABORT.

Mike Mascari
[EMAIL PROTECTED]