On 2014-10-03 17:55:19 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andres Freund <and...@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> > On 2014-10-03 12:40:21 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >> Well, I think the issue is that having a GUC that can't reasonably be
> >> tuned by 95% of our users is nearly useless.  Few users are going to run
> >> benchmarks to see what the optimal value is.
>
> > It's possible to convince customers to play with a performance
> > influencing parameter and see how the results are. Even in
> > production.
>
> I'm a bit dubious that people will be willing to experiment in production
> with a GUC that requires a database restart to change.

I've convinced customers to restart databases with several different
shared_buffers settings... So I'm pretty sure it's possible, in *some*
cases, for xloginsert_slots.

And even if it's just test/pre-production machines - they're not going
to benchmark settings they can't reasonably set in production.

Greetings,

Andres Freund