On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 6:04 AM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Andres Freund <and...@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> > Well. Unless I miss something it doesn't resolve the problem that
> > started this thread. Namely that it's currently impossible to write
> > regression using EXPLAIN (ANALYZE, TIMING OFF. COSTS OFF). Which is
> > worthwhile because it allows to tests some behaviour that's only visible
> > in actually executed plans (like seing that a subtree wasn't executed).
>
> TBH, I don't particularly care about that.  A new flag for turning
> "summary timing" off would answer the complaint with not too much
> non-orthogonality ... but I really don't find this use case compelling
> enough to justify adding a feature to EXPLAIN.

Hmm, was my case above not compelling enough?
This leaves me out in the cold a bit for when it comes to testing inner
joins are properly skipped at execution time. I can see no other way to
properly verify when the joins are and are not being skipped other than
outputting the explain analyze in the test and I can't really imagine it
ever getting committed without proper regression tests.

Can you think of some other way that I could test this? Keep in mind
there's no trace of the removal in the EXPLAIN without ANALYZE.

Regards

David Rowley