Tom Lane-2 wrote
> Jim Nasby <

> Jim.Nasby@

> > writes:
>> Something else mentioned was that once you start a smart shutdown you
>> have no good way (other than limited ps output) to see what the shutdown
>> is waiting on. I'd like to have some way to get back into the database
>> to see what's going on. Perhaps we could allow superusers to connect
>> while waiting for shutdown.
>
> I think this idea is going to founder on the fact that the postmaster
> has no way to tell whether an incoming connection is for a superuser.
> You don't find that out until you've connected to a database and run
> a transaction (so you can read pg_authid).  And by that point, you've
> already had a catastrophic impact on any attempt to shut things down.

This quote from the documentation seems suspect in light of your comment...

"While backup mode is active, new connections will still be allowed, but
only to superusers (this exception allows a superuser to connect to
terminate online backup mode)."

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/server-shutdown.html

David J.