"Doyle, Bryan" <bryan.do...@gs.com> writes:
> Would specifying a special value for the service name, perhaps [%], be an
> acceptable implementation of this enhancement/fix to my above concerns?

> Example:
>     # comment
>     [%]
>     host=%.domain.com
>     port=5433
>     user=admin

This doesn't seem like a terribly good idea, because such an entry would
capture *any* service name whatsoever.  And, since we check service names
before other possibilities such as host/database names, the entry would
then proceed to capture every possible connection request.

I follow what you're trying to do, but it needs to be a more constrained
syntax.  One possibility is to insist that the wildcard be only a part
of the name string, eg

    [myservers-%]
    host=%.domain.com
    port=5433