On 10/24/14, 2:23 PM, Jim Nasby wrote:
On the serialization structure itself, should we be worried about a mismatch
between available GUCs on the sender vs the receiver? Presumably if the sender
outputs a GUC that the receiver doesn't know about we'll get an error, but what
if the sender didn't include something? Maybe not an issue today, but could
this cause problems down the road if we wanted to use the serialized data some
other way? But maybe I'm just being paranoid. :)

I just realized there's a bigger problem there; this isn't portable against any
changes to any of the binary elements.

So I guess it's really a question of would we ever want this to function
(as-is) cross-version.