On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 12:20 PM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> David Rowley <dgrowle...@gmail.com> writes:
> > It seems the buffer created in pset_quoted_string is just 1 char too
> small.
>
> Yeah, that's a bug.  Fix pushed, thanks!

Thanks for committing.

> > This breaks psql's \pset for me, though I've no idea why the buildfarm is
> > not complaining a bit more.
>
> I think in most cases, maxalign padding of the malloc allocation would
> result in there being room for another byte without trashing anything
> important.  You must be using a libc that notices and complains about
> even 1-byte buffer overruns.

I'm using MSVC.
After a bit of reading it seems like when compiled in debug mode that
malloc() uses something called _malloc_dbg() which allocates a bit more
memory to allow for more strict checking of buffer overruns.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/974tc9t1.aspx

I guess all the MSVC buildfarm members must be compiled in release mode
then? I wonder if it would be worth changing one to build with debug as it
seem like none of the buildfarm animals picked this up despite there being
a regression test to ensure \pset works.

Regards

David Rowley