On 11/5/14, 12:59 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
Marko Tiikkaja <ma...@joh.to> writes:
So I got into thinking whether it would make sense to provide a new
function, say, to_char_at_timezone() to solve this problem.  For example:
Any thoughts?  The patch is quite trivial.

I'm not convinced that it's all that trivial.  Is the input timestamp or
timestamptz, and what's the semantics of that exactly (ie what timezone
rotation happens)?  One's first instinct is often wrong in this area.

In my example, the input is a "timestamptz", and the output is converted to the target time zone the same way timestamptz_out() does, except based on the input timezone instead of TimeZone.

Not sure whether it would make sense to do this for "timestamp", or whether there's even a clear intuitive behaviour there.

.marko