On 11/19/2014 08:22 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

I think we're overblowing the pg_upgrade issue.  Surely we don't need to
preserve commit_ts data when upgrading across major versions; and
pg_upgrade is perfectly prepared to remove old data when upgrading
(actually it just doesn't copy it; consider pg_subtrans or pg_serial,
for instance.)  If we need to change binary representation in a future
major release, we can do so without any trouble.

That sounds reasonable. I am okay with Petr removing the LSN portion this patch.