On 11/21/2014 02:44 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> writes:
Well, now we get things like this:
     ERROR:  more than one function named "abc"
     LINE 1: SELECT 'abc'::pg_catalog.regproc::pg_catalog.oid
whereas minimal_error_message suppressed the second line. If we want to
preserve that older behaviour we'll have to abandon use of PSQLexec. But
it's not so complex that that would be a huge issue.
Yeah, the reason why we wrote that code to begin with was that there
were a bunch of user-facing error cases that would be reported by
regproc_in/regprocedure_in, and we didn't want to clutter those error
reports with the underlying queries.

I'm not sure how I feel about changing this.  Making these queries subject
to ECHO_HIDDEN seems like we're exposing them to users to some extent
anyway, and maybe it's not worth dozens of lines of code (and duplicating
large parts of PSQLexec) to avoid the extra output.  On the other hand
this output doesn't seem very nice from a fit-and-finish standpoint.

Let me see what I can come up with.

cheers

andrew