On 12/5/14, 5:49 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
On 12/05/2014 02:41 PM, Jim Nasby wrote:
Perhaps we should also officially recommend production servers be setup
to create core files. AFAIK the only downside is the time it would take
to write a core that's huge because of shared buffers, but perhaps
there's some way to avoid writing those? (That means the core won't help
if the bug is due to something in a buffer, but that seems unlikely
enough that the tradeoff is worth it...)

Not practical in a lot of cases.  For example, this user was unwilling
to enable core dumps on the production replicas because writing out the
16GB of shared buffers they had took over 10 minutes in a test.

Which is why I wondered if there's a way to avoid writing out shared buffers...

But at least getting a stack trace would be a big start.