Peter Eisentraut <pete...@gmx.net> writes:
> On 12/12/14 8:13 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
>> Wouldn't a make install-server/client targets or something similar
>> actually achieve the same thing? Seems simpler to maintain to me.

> Adding non-standard makefile targets comes with its own set of
> maintenance issues.

It would be of zero value to packagers anyway; certainly so for those
following the Red Hat tradition, in which you tell the package Makefile
to install everything and then what goes into which subpackage is
sorted out in a separate, subsequent step.  Possibly Debian or other
packaging infrastructures do it differently, but I doubt that.

Really, if we want to tell packagers that foo is a client program and
bar is a server-side program, the documentation is where to address it.