On 12/12/14, 8:03 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 11:43 PM, Amit Langote
<langote_amit...@lab.ntt.co.jp>  wrote:
>In case of what we would have called a 'LIST' partition, this could look like
>
>... FOR VALUES (val1, val2, val3, ...)
>
>Assuming we only support partition key to contain only one column in such a
case.

>In case of what we would have called a 'RANGE' partition, this could look like
>
>... FOR VALUES (val1min, val2min, ...) TO (val1max, val2max, ...)
>
>How about BETWEEN ... AND ... ?
Sure.  Mind you, I'm not proposing that the syntax I just mooted is
actually for the best.  What I'm saying is that we need to talk about
it.

Frankly, if we're going to require users to explicitly define each partition
then I think the most appropriate API would be a function. Users will be
writing code to create new partitions as needed, and it's generally easier to
write code that calls a function as opposed to glomming a text string together
and passing that to EXECUTE.