On 19/12/14 13:17, Michael Paquier wrote:
On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 6:30 PM, Petr Jelinek <p...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 10/12/14 16:03, Petr Jelinek wrote:

On 10/12/14 04:26, Michael Paquier wrote:

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 9:26 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
<hlinnakan...@vmware.com> wrote:

Yeah, it was raised. I don't think it was really addressed. There was
lengthy discussion on whether to include LSN, node id, and/or some other
information, but there was no discussion on:

* What is a node ID?
* How is it used?
* Who assigns it?

etc.

None of those things are explained in the documentation nor code
comments.

Could it be possible to get a refresh on that before it bitrots too
much or we'll simply forget about it? In the current state, there is
no documentation able to explain what is the point of the nodeid
stuff, how to use it and what use cases it is aimed at. The API in
committs.c should as well be part of it. If that's not done, I think
that it would be fair to remove this portion and simply WAL-log the
commit timestamp its GUC is activated.

I have this on my list so it's not being forgotten and I don't see it
bitrotting unless we are changing XLog api again. I have bit busy
schedule right now though, can it wait till next week? - I will post
some code documentation patches then.
as promised I am sending code-comment patch that explains the use of commit
timestamps + nodeid C api for the conflict resolution, comments welcome.
Having some documentation with this example in doc/ would be more fruitful IMO.

I am not sure I see point in that, the GUC and SQL interfaces are documented in doc/ and we usually don't put documentation for C interfaces there.