On Thu, Jan 1, 2015 at 11:17 PM, Peter Geoghegan <p...@heroku.com> wrote:
> I've been working on fixing the bugs that Jeff Janes found [1] with
> approach #2 to value locking [2]. Approach #1 was unaffected.

Unfortunately, exclusion constraints (which only value locking
approach #2 has support for, for the IGNORE variant) are broken, even
with my fix for the largely unrelated issues also described in my
opening mail. I now believe that it is inherently impossible to
support exclusion constraints with INSERT ... ON CONFLICT IGNORE, if
we are insistent that there cannot be livelocks, unprincipled
deadlocks or spurious exclusion violations....and I think you all know
how I feel about those  :-)  . I think that we should drop support for
exclusion constraints, regardless of whatever else happens with value
locking.

Previously, my mental model of approach #2 was that it more or less
handled B-Trees and exclusion constraint related indexes equivalently.
This is untrue, though.

Today, in general, exclusion constraints more or less work by
physically inserting a heap tuple and index tuple relating to the
exclusion constraint (typically this is with a GiST index). There
could well be a conflict due to a concurrent insertion, or even due to
the fact that there was a conflicting tuple all along. The
implementation tries to find a conclusively committed conflicting
tuple. If it does not find such a tuple, it knows that its own already
physically inserted tuple is enough of a reason for others to have to
worry about it, and so it may proceed and commit the xact -- once it
does a whole index scan with only its own tuple found (and not any
overlapping tuple from an unfinished xact), it's clear that it can
proceed.

Exclusion constraints are made to do a pre-check by approach #2 to
value locking, to do an IGNORE, but that isn't really significant
here. The reason that #2 is broken for exclusion constraints but not
for unique indexes is that unique index insertion reports a conflict
in the process of inserting. In contrast, unique constraints insert
optimistically, and re-check. What's the difference? Well, even though
(since the implementation passes UNIQUE_CHECK_PARTIAL for unique index
insertion) we still insert when there is a conflict, there is an
important distinction: Value locking. That is to say, even though we
still insert, we also still use buffer locks as value locks in the
usual way that unique indexes do (we hold an exclusion buffer lock on
the first B-Tree leaf page the value could be on, as always). We still
decide that there is no conflict when the is an exclusion buffer lock,
which is a sufficient choke point to make that determination
conclusive. This implies that even with many concurrent insertions
into a newly created table, there will definitely be one inserter that
conclusively does *not* have a conflict, while the others might
(depends on the status of the guy who conclusively had *no* conflict,
or his line of successor xacts that may or may not themselves commit).

In a private e-mail to Heikki, I pointed out that he was mistaken when
he said that there is a pre-existing problem with exclusion
constraints: it is not possible for concurrent inserters to both
spuriously get exclusion violations when only one needs to. Heikki
accepted this. However, I now realize that Heikki was closer to being
right about it than I was; you can't get spurious exclusion
violations, but you can get something that's about the same, which is
a deadlock. That usually doesn't matter that much, because people
usually don't worry about the issue with exclusion constraints. But in
a world where they support INSERT ... ON CONFLICT IGNORE, that isn't
acceptable, IMV.

I have a test case:
https://github.com/petergeoghegan/upsert/blob/master/exclusion.sh

I see both spurious exclusion violations, and unprincipled deadlocks
with this simple IGNORE-based testcase, that uses a GiST + btree_gist
exclusion constraint. I didn't see livelocks, which would have been
really bad, because a mutual need to wait on each other's xact causes
a deadlock, and the deadlock detector detects those. I think that the
spurious exclusion violations are merely an artifact of the
implementation, as opposed to an inherent problem with exclusion
constraints (in other words, I don't withdraw my remarks from the last
paragraph - only (arguably) unprincipled deadlocks occur with ordinary
exclusion constraint enforcement with lots of concurrency).

--
Peter Geoghegan