On Tue, Jan  6, 2015 at 08:46:19PM +0100, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> > I will run the script today.  I didn't do it earlier because I want to
> > be current on reading community email before doing it.
>
> hmm is it intentional that the commit also changed other files?
>
> looks like the commited patch added newlines to various files that had
> none before for example:

Specifically, these files had no newline after the last line in the
file.

> src/test/isolation/specs/nowait-2.spec
> src/test/isolation/specs/nowait-3.spec
> src/test/isolation/specs/skip-locked-4.spec
> src/test/modules/commit_ts/commit_ts.conf
>
> http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=4baaf863eca5412e07a8441b3b7e7482b7a8b21a#patch1352
>
> while I do think that the files should have newlines I dont think those
> should be added in a copyright bump commit and I think the script might
> actually break files where we specifically dont want a newline (afaik we
> dont have atm but still)

Well, I am guessing the Perl 'tie' is adding them as there is no
explicit newline added in the script, and the Tie docs confirm that:

        http://search.cpan.org/~toddr/Tie-File-1.00/lib/Tie/File.pm

        Because the chomped value will have the separator reattached when it is
        written back to the file. There is no way to create a file whose
        trailing record separator string is missing.

There are probably other scripts that assume all lines end in a newline.
Is it worth changing the copyright script to preserve the lack of
newlines --- I doubt it.  I have added a Perl comment about this
behavior, though.

--
  Bruce Momjian  <br...@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us

  + Everyone has their own god. +