Oliver Elphick wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 21:35, Robert Treat wrote:

> > > This is fixed in 7.3
> > >

> > out of curiosity, do you know the logic that implements this fix? I have
> > a couple of tables that use the same sequence; I'm wondering if dropping
> > one of the tables removes the sequence or if I have to drop all tables
> > before the sequence is removed
>
> I just tried it.
>
> I created a sequence using SERIAL when I created a table.  I used the
> same sequence for another table by setting a column default to
> nextval(sequence).
>
> I deleted the first table.  The sequence was deleted too, leaving the
> default of the second table referring to a non-existent sequence.

This sounds like a serious bug in our behaviour, and not something we'd
like to release.

Specifically in relation to people's existing scripts, and also to
people who are doing dump/restore of specific tables (it'll kill the
sequences that other tables depend on too!)

No real issue with the nicety for newbies, but am very concerned about
the lack of a dependancy check here.

:-/

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> Could this be a TODO item in 7.4, to add a dependency check when a
> sequence is set as the default without being created at the same time?
>
> --
> Oliver Elphick                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Isle of Wight, UK
> http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
> GPG: 1024D/3E1D0C1C: CA12 09E0 E8D5 8870 5839  932A 614D 4C34 3E1D 0C1C
>      "If my people, which are called by my name, shall
>       humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and
>       turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from
>       heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal
>       their land."               II Chronicles 7:14

> subscribe-nomail command to [EMAIL PROTECTED] so that your

   - Indira Gandhi