On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 9:43 PM, Sawada Masahiko <sawada.m...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 3:38 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapil...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 9:38 PM, Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > The reason why "sourcefile" and "sourceline" are not sufficient is that
> > they can only give the information about the setting in last file it is
> > present.  Assume max_connections (or any other setting) is available
> > in both postgresql.conf and postgresql.auto.conf, then it will display
> > the information about the setting in postgresql.auto.conf, so now user
> > might not be able to decide whether that is the setting he want to
retain
> > unless he knows the information about setting in postgresql.conf.
> >
> > Now as I have suggested upthread, that we can have a new view
> > pg_file_settings which will display information about settings even
> > when there exists multiple entries for the same in different files.
> >
> > I think adding such information to existing view pg_settings would
> > be difficult as the same code is used for show commands which
> > we don't want to change.
> >

> I think this new view is updated only when postmaster received SIGHUP
> or is started.
> And we can have new function like pg_update_file_setting() which
> updates this view.

If that is doable without much complication, then it might not be bad
idea to just add additional columns to existing view (pg_settings).  I
think you can once evaluate the details like what additional columns
(other than what pg_settings has) are required and how you want to
update them. After doing so further discussion could be more meaningful.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.