On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 12:42 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvhe...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> Although that might be taking this thread rather far off-topic.
> Not really sure about that, because the only outstanding objection to
> this discussion is what happens in the startup stage if you specify -f.
> Right now vacuum is attempted on the standard tables, which is probably
> not the right thing in the vast majority of cases.  But if we turn that
> off, how do we reinstate it for the rare cases that want it?  Personally
> I would just leave it turned off and be done with it, but if we want to
> provide some way to re-enable it, this --startup-script=FILE gadget
> sounds like a pretty decent idea.
(Catching up with this thread)
Yes I think that it would be more simple to simply turn off the
internal VACUUM if -f is specified. For the cases where we still need
to vacuum the tables pgbench_*, we could simply document to run a
VACUUM on them.
--
Michael