On 02/02/2015 03:36 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
Second, I*think*  that these settings are symmetric and, if that's
right, then I suggest that they ought to be named symmetrically.
Basically, I think you've got min_checkpoint_segments (the number of
recycled segments we keep around always) and max_checkpoint_segments
(the maximum number of segments we can have between checkpoints),
essentially splitting the current role of checkpoint_segments in half.
I'd go so far as to suggest we use exactly that naming.  It would be
reasonable to allow the value to be specified in MB rather than in
16MB units, and to specify it that way by default, but maybe a
unit-less value should have the old interpretation since everybody's
used to it.  That would require adding GUC_UNIT_XSEG or similar, but
that seems OK.

Works for me. However, note that "max_checkpoint_segments = 10" doesn't mean the same as current "checkpoint_segments = 10". With checkpoint_segments = 10 you end up with about 2x-3x as much WAL as with max_checkpoint_segments = 10. So the "everybody's used to it" argument doesn't hold much water.

- Heikki