scott.marlowe kirjutas K, 27.11.2002 kell 01:40:
> On 27 Nov 2002, Hannu Krosing wrote:
>
> > You could try out VMWare and run a linux virtual machine under Windows,
> > You could set it up once with all necessary servers and then copy the
> > files to each new developers machine.
> >
> > VMWare is not free, but should be significantly cheaper than buying a
> > whole computer.
>
> If you're gonna go that far, look at reversing that situation, i.e. run a
> linux box for each person with windows in vmware.  It's a much more stable
> situation than the other way around.

That's how I use it.

It's also nice way to try out new win software - install it, check it
out and if you don't like it just say no to "save changes?" when closing
the vmware session ;)

> Either way, you can then run multiple Windows instances, of different
> versions of windows if need be, which means you can test and develop for
> multiple windows environments on one box, no rebooting, not even having to
> turn your chair around.
>
> VMWare likes memory, so get plenty if you go that way.
>
> And don't worry about the problems getting familiar with most newer
> flavors of linux, they're pretty easy to grok for most developers.
>
> P.S. a note on windows and vmware:  It's not uncommon for companies now to
> build a large linux box, put vmware gsx on it, and run dozens of windows
> instances.  That way the spare cycles for one server can be used by
> another, you can consolidate your windows servers onto a couple of boxen,
> and you get much more reliable operation from windows when the hardware is
> abstracted away from underneath it.

I guess this would be good for win _servers_, but how would you use this
setup for developers - will they all sit around a single box ?