On 15 February 2015 at 02:34, David Steele <da...@pgmasters.net> wrote:

> I've posted a couple of messages over the last few weeks about the work
> I've been doing on the pg_audit extension.  The lack of response could
> be due to either universal acclaim or complete apathy, but in any case I
> think this is a very important topic so I want to give it another try.

You mentioned you had been following the thread for some time and yet
had not contributed to it. Did that indicate your acclaim for the
earlier patch, or was that apathy? I think neither.

People have been working on this feature for >9 months now, so you
having to wait 9 days for a response is neither universal acclaim, nor
apathy. I've waited much longer than that for Stephen to give the
review he promised, but have not bad mouthed him for that wait, nor do
I do so now. In your first post you had removed the author's email
addresses, so they were likely unaware of your post. I certainly was.

> I've extensively reworked the code that was originally submitted by
> 2ndQuandrant.  This is not an indictment of their work, but rather an
> attempt to redress concerns that were expressed by members of the
> community.  I've used core functions to determine how audit events
> should be classified and simplified and tightened the code wherever
> possible.  I've removed deparse and event triggers and opted for methods
> that rely only on existing hooks.  In my last message I provided
> numerous examples of configuration, usage, and output which I hoped
> would alleviate concerns of complexity.  I've also written a ton of unit
> tests to make sure that the code works as expected.

Some people that have contributed ideas to this patch are from
2ndQuadrant, some are not. The main point is that we work together on
things, rather than writing a slightly altered version and then
claiming credit.

If you want to help, please do. We give credit where its due, not to
whoever touched the code last in some kind of bidding war. If we let
this happen, we'd generate a flood of confusing patch versions and
little would ever get committed.

Let's keep to one thread and work to include everybody's ideas then
we'll get something useful committed.

 PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, RemoteDBA, Training & Services