​So earlier someone commented that using lists list_nth() seemed odd and a
tuplestore might be better. In fact using lists this way is O(n^2). I've
done some quick tests and it doesn't start being a problem until about
10,000 lines which obviously isn't a terribly common way to use
pg_hba_settings. However we have in the past had people doing multi-tenant
clusters with hundreds or thousands of databases in a cluster complaining
about scalability of certain operations. It would be a shame to introduce a
new one.

It does seem annoying to use a tuplestore as IIRC the function scan node
also materializes the results in recent years. But at least it would scale
linearly.