On 2015-03-30 09:33:57 +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> In the past, I have observed in one of the Write-oriented tests that
> backend's have to flush the pages by themselves many a times, so
> in above situation that can lead to more severe bottleneck.

Yes.

> > I've prototyped solving this for heap relations moving the smgrnblocks()
> > + smgrextend() calls to RelationGetBufferForTuple(). With some care
> > (including a retry loop) it's possible to only do those two under the
> > extension lock. That indeed fixes problems in some of my tests.
> >

> So do this means that the problem is because of contention on extension
> lock?

Yes, at least commonly. Obviously the extension lock would be less of a
problem if we were better at having clean victim buffer ready.

> > I'm not sure whether the above is the best solution however.
>
> Another thing to note here is that during extension we are extending
> just one block, won't it make sense to increment it by some bigger
> number (we can even take input from user for the same where user
> can specify how much to autoextend a relation when the relation doesn't
> have any empty space).  During mdextend(), we might increase just one
> block, however we can register the request for background process to
> increase the size similar to what is done for fsync.

I think that's pretty much a separate patch. Made easier by moving
things out of under the lock maybe. Other than that I'd prefer not to
mix things. There's a whole bunch of unrelated complexity that I don't
want to attach to the topic at the same time (autovacuum truncayting
again and so on).

Greetings,

Andres Freund