On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 3:42 PM, Jeff Janes <jeff.ja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 8:54 PM, Jeff Janes <jeff.ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> After freeing up the rows at the end of the table so it is eligible for
>> truncation, then running a manual VACUUM to actually release the space, I
>> kept running into the problem that the truncation scan was consistently
>> suspended and then aborted due to a conflicting lock requested/held.
>>
>> But the perversity is that that conflicting lock request can only be
>> coming, as far as I can tell, from the autovac process.  I'm not sure how
>> this happens, as I thought autovac never waited for locks but only obtained
>> one if it were instantaneously available, but that it is the only
>> explanation I can think of.
>>
>> I'm not seeing this in 9.4, but I'm not sure how deterministic it is so
>> maybe that is just luck.
>>

> It looks like the culprit is this:
>
> commit 0d831389749a3baaced7b984205b9894a82444b9
> Author: Alvaro Herrera <alvhe...@alvh.no-ip.org>
> Date:   Wed Mar 18 11:52:33 2015 -0300
>
>     Rationalize vacuuming options and parameters
>
> I'd guess the autovac nature of the autovac process is getting lost in
> there where, but I don't see where.

Hm. I ran a couple of tests and am noticing that a manual VACUUM is not
able to truncate all the pages (it should, no?)... For example with your
test case on REL9_4_STABLE VACUUM VERBOSE reports that all the pages are
truncated:
INFO:  00000: "pgbench_accounts": truncated 16394 to 0 pages

OK, on HEAD this does not seem to work:
INFO:  00000: "pgbench_accounts": truncated 16394 to 13554 pages

But if I try as well with 4559167c (0d831389~1) I am getting a similar
result:
INFO:  00000: "pgbench_accounts": truncated 16394 to 3309 pages

I will try to bisect to the origin of that. This may be related to what you
are seeing.
Regards,
--
Michael