Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 2:20 PM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> > The right workflow here, IMO, is that a patch should be marked
> > returned or rejected, full stop; and then when/if the author submits
> > a new version for a future CF, there should be a way *at that time*
> > to re-link the email thread into that future CF.
>
> If we just link the email thread, that would mean we loose all those
> precious annotations we just added support for. Is that really what
> you meant? We also loose all history of a patch, and can't see that a
> previous version existed in a previous commitfest, without manually
> checking each and every one. But if that's a history we don't *want*,
> that's of course doable, but it seems wrong to me?
>
> I'm not necessarily saying that what we have now is right, but just
> giving up on the history completely doesn't seem like a very good
> workflow to me.
>
> We could always tell those people to "go back and find your old patch
> and re-open it", but in fairness, are people likely to actually do
> that?

I think it's convenient if the submitter can go to a previous commitfest
and set an RwF entry as again needing review in the open commitfest.
That would keep the CF-app-history intact.  This should probably only be
allowed for patches that are either RwF or Rejected, and only in
commitfests that are already closed (perhaps allow it for the commitfest
in progress also?).

> > "Moved" is really only applicable, I think, for cases where we punt
> > a patch to the next CF for lack of time.
>
> Well, that's basically what "returned with feedback" is now, so I
> guess that one should just be renamed in that case.

Yes, keeping the current behavior with name "Moved to next CF" seems
good to me.

> And we add a new "returned with feedback" that closes out the patch
> and doesn't move it anywhere.

Sounds good.