On 04/27/2015 08:49 AM, Jim Nasby wrote:
On 4/25/15 1:19 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
    Note if you are storing a table with rows that exceed 2KB in size
    (aggregate size of each row) then the "Maximum number of rows in a
    table" may be limited to 4 Billion, see TOAST.

That's not accurate though; you could be limited to far less than 4B rows. If each row has 10 fields that toast, you'd be limited to just 400M rows.

ISTM like the solution is almost here, and could be done without too much (additional) work: * We have already discussed having a page-per-sequence with the new SeqAMs being introduced and how that would improve scalability.
* We have commented on having a sequence per TOAST table
(hence, 4B toasted values per table each up to 4B chunks in size... vs just 4B toasted values per cluster)

I'm not sure that I can do it all by myself just yet, but I sure can try if there is interest. (just after I'm done with another patch that is independent from this, though)

    This would be material for 9.6, of course :)

Thanks,

    J.L.