On 4/24/15 4:29 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
>> Shouldn't this be backed up by pg_dump(all?)?
>
> Given it deals with LSNs and is, quite fundamentally due to concurrency, non
> transactional, I doubt it's worth it. The other side's slots also aren't
> going to be backed up as pg dump obviously can't know about then. So the
> represented data won't make much sense.

I agree it might not be the best match.  But we should consider that we
used to say, a backup by pg_dumpall plus configuration files is a
complete backup.  Now we have replication slots and possibly replication
identifiers and maybe similar features in the future that are not
covered by this backup method.