On 29 April 2015 at 21:45, Szymon Guz <mabew...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Devrim,
> I will take a look at this.
>
> regards,
> Szymon
>
> On 29 April 2015 at 18:24, Devrim Gündüz <dev...@gunduz.org> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Anyone? :)
>>
>> Regards, Devrim
>>
>> On Wed, 2015-03-18 at 15:19 +0200, Devrim Gündüz wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Background info first: PL/Ruby was originally maintained by Guy Decoux,
>> > who passed away in 2008: https://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/166658 .
>> After
>> > his death, Akinori MUSHA forked the project and maintained it until
>> > 2010: https://github.com/knu/postgresql-plruby . Last release was on
>> Jan
>> > 2010, and recent distros started throwing build errors.
>> >
>> > I was having similar build issues while trying to RPMify PL/Ruby, and
>> > finally stepped up the plate and tried to fix those build issues by
>> > forking the project:
>> >
>> > https://github.com/devrimgunduz/postgresql-plruby/
>> >
>> > I mainly applied patches from Fedora, and also did some basic cleanup.
>> > However, I don't know Ruby and have limited C skills, so I need some
>> > help on these:
>> >
>> > * Complete the extension support: I committed initial infrastructure for
>> > it, but I don't think it is ready yet.
>> >
>> > * Fix the FIXME:
>> >
>> https://github.com/devrimgunduz/postgresql-plruby/blob/master/src/plpl.c#L844
>> >
>> > * Documentation review and update: The recent example is against
>> > PostgreSQL 8.0. A recent Ruby example would be good, and also we need
>> > updates for creating the language.
>> >
>> > Any contributions are welcome. I recently released 0.5.5 that at least
>> > is ready for testing.
>> >
>> > I want to remind that I am not a Ruby guy, so this is really a community
>> > stuff for me.
>> >
>> > Thanks by now.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>>

>> --
>> Devrim GÜNDÜZ
>> Principal Systems Engineer @ EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
>> PostgreSQL Danışmanı/Consultant, Red Hat Certified Engineer
>> Twitter: @DevrimGunduz , @DevrimGunduzTR

Hi Devrim,
I checked the code, and it seems like there is a lot of work to make this
plruby stuff working with the new postgres.

I think we need to get rid of the code for supporting the older postgres
versions than 8.4. Or even 9.0 (if there is any code for that) as this
version get obsolete in September this year, and I'm sure that I'm alone
will not be able to make all the changes till that time.

Compiling the code gives me lots of warnings, which also should be cleared.

The previous release was made long time ago, so it is not up to date with
the last postgres changes - a lot of work too.

So, I will work on it, however fixing and updating the code will take some
time.

Oh, and documentation of course.

At this moment I will do all the work on my github account.

regards,
Szymon