On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 5:46 PM, Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 17, 2015, at 8:38 PM, Peter Geoghegan <p...@heroku.com> wrote:
>> The current behavior does not seem acceptable for the concatenate
>> operator ("operator || jsonb").
>
> I don't agree.  It seems pretty clear to me after reading the new posts that
> the behavior is not an oversight, and that's enough for me to say that we
> should leave this alone.

I've said what I wanted to say. As long as the community is
comfortable with the reality that this concatenate operator really
isn't useful for assignment within UPDATEs for most jsonb users, then
I can leave it at that. I think that this concatenate operator may
have been informally promoted as the thing that made it possible to do
jsonb UPDATEs in a declarative fashion, but as things stand that
really isn't true.

If nothing changes, let's not make the mistake of going on to
*formally* promote this concatenate operator as offering the ability
to do jsonb UPDATEs in a declarative fashion, because that would be
quite misleading.

--
Peter Geoghegan