On 20/05/15 07:37, Jan de Visser wrote:
On May 19, 2015 07:04:56 PM Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
Bruno Harbulot asked for a devil's advocate by saying:
My main point was that this is not specific to JDBC. Considering that even
PostgreSQL's own ECPG is affected, the issue goes probably deeper than it
seems. I'm just not convinced that passing the problem onto connectors,
libraries and ultimately application developers is the right thing to do
here.
Well, one could argue that it *is* their problem, as they should be using
the standard Postgres way for placeholders, which is $1, $2, $3...
Shirley you are joking: Many products use JDBC as an abstraction layer
facilitating (mostly) seamless switching between databases. I know the product
I worked on did. Are you advocating that every single statement should use
"SELECT * FROM foo WHERE bar = $1" on pg and "SELECT * FROM foo WHERE bar = ?"
on every other database?

A database is only as valuable as the the part of the outside world it can
interact with. Large parts of the data-consuming world are developed in java
using JDBC. If your opinion is that JDBC developers should adapt themselves to
pg then you instantaneously diminish the value of pg.

jan

I prefer the $1 approach, others can't use that, and there are situations where I could not either.

So, how about defaulting to the '?' approach, but have a method to explicitly set the mode - to switch to using '$'?

Cheers,
Gavin