On 05/30/15 21:50, Tom Lane wrote:
So what this seems to mean is that for SEMI/ANTI join cases, we have
to postpone all of the inner scan cost determination to
final_cost_nestloop, so that we can do this differently depending on
whether has_indexed_join_quals() is true. That's a little bit
annoying because it will mean we take the shortcut exit less often;
but since SEMI/ANTI joins aren't that common, it's probably not
going to be a big planning time hit.

Yay! So I wasn't entirely wrong on this. Do you plan to make this change, or will you leave that on me?

Not sure yet about your other point about the indexscan getting
rejected too soon. That doesn't seem to be happening for me, at least
not in HEAD.

FWIW I can reproduce that reliably on current HEAD, with the test case I sent yesterday. I'm using default config (as produced by initdb).

regards