Fujii Masao wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When the archiver exits, currently reaper() restarts it only while
> the postmaster state is PM_RUN. This is OK in 9.4 or before because
> the archiver could be running on that state. But in 9.5, we can set
> archive_mode to "always" and start the archiver even on the standby.
> So I think that reaper() should restart the archiver even when
> the postmaster state is PM_RECOVERY or PM_HOT_STANDBY with
> some conditions. Patch attached.

Sounds reasonable, but the patch looks pretty messy.  Can't we create
some common function that would be called both here and on ServerLoop?
We also have sigusr1_handler that starts an archiver -- why does that
one use different conditions?  Also, the block at lines 2807ff seems
like it ought to be changed as well?