Without getting into too many details, why not send toast data to
non-local clients?  Seems that would be the big win.  The data is
already compressed, so the server wouldn't pay cpu time to recompress
anything.  And since toast data is relatively large anyway, it's the
stuff you'd want to compress before putting it on the wire anyway.

If this is remotely possible let me know, I might be interested in
taking a look at it.

-Kyle