Paul A Jungwirth <p...@illuminatedcomputing.com> writes:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 8:06 AM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Paul A Jungwirth <p...@illuminatedcomputing.com> writes:
>>> I'm interested in adding GiST support for the UUID column type
>>> . . . . So I'm curious where this change would go?

>> btree_gist, I'd think

> Okay, thank you for your answer! I was worried about the effects of
> having btree_gist depend on uuid-ossp. People won't have to say
> `CREATE EXTENSION "uuid-ossp"` if they only want `btree_gist`, right?

No, the uuid type exists in core.  It's only some creation functions that
are in that extension.

>> the overhead of an extension version bump will probably
>> exceed the useful payload :-(

> Sorry to put more work on your plate. :-) I'm trying to pick something
> easy to get my feet wet.

That work will be on your plate actually ;-).  Read the docs concerning
creation of new extension versions, and perhaps look in our git history
for previous commits that have upgraded contrib extensions.