On 7/4/15 12:33 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
Jim Nasby <jim.na...@bluetreble.com> writes:
On 7/3/15 2:33 AM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
On 07/03/2015 01:20 AM, Jim Nasby wrote:
Is there a way to determine the operator that resulted in
calling the operator function? I thought
fcinfo->flinfo->fn_expr might get set to the OpExpr, but seems
it can be a FuncExpr even when called via an operator...

Don't think there is. Why do you need to know?

I'd like to support arbitrary operators in variant.

Why would you expect there to be multiple operators pointing at the
same function?  If there were multiple operators pointing at the same
function, why would you need to distinguish them?  ISTM that such a
situation would necessarily mean that there was no distinction worthy
of notice.

Because frequently there *almost* is no distinction. Witness the large
number of *_cmp functions and the 6 wrappers that normally accompany them.

(The particular situation you are bitching about comes from the fact
that eval_const_expressions's simplify_functions code deliberately
ignores any distinction between operators and functions.  But for its
purposes, that is *correct*, and I will strongly resist any claim
that it isn't.  If you are unhappy then you defined your operators
wrongly.)

I'm not sure how you got 'bitching' out of what I said:

I did initial testing and it looked like I was getting an OpExpr in
fn_expr, but I think that's because I was using a real table to test
with. When I do something like 'a' < 'b' it looks like the operator
gets written out of the plan. If that's indeed what's happening is
there a hook I could use to change that behavior?

All I need is a way to know what the original operator was. In this case an OpExpr would be easiest but presumably it wouldn't be difficult to turn a Name into an OpExpr.

FWIW, if we had this then by my count we could get rid of ~130 wrapper functions: decibel@decina:[10:38]~/pgsql/HEAD/src/backend (master $%=)$git grep _cmp|grep PG_RETURN_BOOL|wc -l
     130