> On Jul 15, 2015, at 3:18 AM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapil...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >   - pg_disable_checksums(void) => turn checksums off for a cluster.  Sets
> > the state to "disabled", which means bg_worker will not do anything.
> >
> >   - pg_request_checksum_cycle(void) => if checksums are "enabled",
> > increment the data_checksum_cycle counter and set the state to "enabling".
> >

> If the cluster is already enabled for checksums, then what is
> the need for any other action?

You are assuming this is a one-way action.  Some people may decide that
checksums end up taking too much overhead or similar, we should support
disabling of this feature; with this proposed patch the disable action is
fairly trivial to handle.

Requesting an explicit checksum cycle would be desirable in the case where you
want to proactively verify there is no cluster corruption to be found.

David
--
David Christensen
PostgreSQL Team Manager