On 07/27/2015 02:28 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:

What about input? This is a whole new feature, but it would be nice to be
able to pass the file contents as a query parameter. Something like:

\P /tmp/foo binary
INSERT INTO foo VALUES (?);

The example of input is strong reason, why don't do it via inserts. Only
parsing some special "?" symbol needs lot of new code.

Sorry, I meant $1 in place of the ?. No special parsing needed, psql can send the query to the server as is, with the parameters that are given by this new mechanism.

In this case, I don't see any advantage of  psql based solution. COPY is
standard interface for input/output from/to files, and it should be used
there.

I'm not too happy with the COPY approach, although I won't object is one of the other committers feel more comfortable with it. However, we don't seem to be making progress here, so I'm going to mark this as Returned with Feedback. I don't feel good about that either, because I don't actually have any great suggestions on how to move this forward. Which is a pity because this is a genuine problem for users.

- Heikki