In cache invalidation logic, we have the following comment:

/*
* Now that we have the lock, check for invalidation messages, so that we
* will update or flush any stale relcache entry before we try to use it.
* RangeVarGetRelid() specifically relies on us for this.  We can skip
* this in the not-uncommon case that we already had the same type of lock
* being requested, since then no one else could have modified the
* relcache entry in an undesirable way.  (In the case where our own xact
* modifies the rel, the relcache update happens via
* CommandCounterIncrement, not here.)
*/
if (res != LOCKACQUIRE_ALREADY_HELD)
   AcceptInvalidationMessages();

It is true after we hold the lock, nobody will further modify it but there
could be some left-over invalidation message we shall accept before we can
continue. This is can be demonstrated with the following invalidation
sequence:
 {
        1: inval A;
        2: inval B;
        ...;
        10: inval pg_class
}

After step 10, another session may encounter a lock and replays this sequence:

step 1:  RelationBuildDesc(A), it heap_open(pg_class),
         pg_class lock not acquired yet, so it acquires the lock and
         recursively replay the sequence, goto step 2.
step 2:
         RelationBuildDesc(B), it heap_open(pg_class),
         but this time we already have LOCKACQUIRE_ALREADY_HELD with
         pg_class, so we now access pg_class but it is wrong.

User may ends up with a "could not open file ..." error.

Is above sequence possible?

Regards,
Qingqing