On Wed, 19 Aug 2015 19:45:47 +0200
jacques klein <jacques.k...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Well, sorry David, I don't understand what you mean,
>
> let me explain what I want to do: in short, IPC between "background
> workers".
>
> I am trying to transform my app. from a multi-threaded C SQL-client into
> some "background workers", execution speed beeing the goal (avoid
> network io).
> Worker start/stopping is nicely solved by server start/stop, but I have
> also to do some messaging/notifying between my worker processes, and
> would like to use a Postgres based solution instead of the usual unix or
> network ipc, or course by avoiding polling (tables acting as message
> queues).

I think what David is saying, and what I would suggest, is the
following:

* It's not possible to have a trigger execute in the background
* Create a background job that runs perpetually and listens for
  notification that it has work to do (i.e. it sleeps until notified)
* Notify the job from the trigger

Bill Moran <wmo...@potentialtech.com>