On 8/20/15 4:25 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
On Aug 20, 2015 4:16 PM, "Tom Lane" <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Our expectations about forward compatibility for postgresql.conf entries
have always been pretty low; even more so for not-widely-used settings.

In any case, wouldn't what you describe simply put off the pain for awhile
(replacing it with confusion in the short term)?  Eventually we're going
to break it.

Well, that's true of any depreciation. And if we throw a log message then
people will know about it...

That said, I'm not against a clean break with compatibility either. As long
as it's clean - like renaming the parameters.

All right.  I'll submit a patch for that.

Thanks for the input, both.

.m