That doesn't match any of the empirical tests I did at the time. I posted
graphs of the throughput for varying numbers of spindles with varying
amount of prefetch. In every case more prefetching increases throuput up to
N times the single platter throuput where N was the number of spindles.

There can be a small speedup from overlapping CPU with I/O but that's a
really small effect. At most that can be a single request and it would be a
very rarely would the amount of CPU time be even a moderate fraction of the
I/O latency. The only case where they're comparable is when your reading
sequentially and then hopefully you wouldn't be using postgres prefetching
at all which is only really intended to help random I/O.