On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 4:18 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.steh...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 5:08 PM, Daniel Verite <dan...@manitou-mail.org>
>> wrote:
>> > I'm not dead set on \rotate and suggested other names
>> > previously in [1], but none of them seems decisively
>> > superior.
>>

>> Fwiw I like \rotate. It's pretty clear what it means and it sounds
>> similar to but not exactly the same as pivot.
>>

> rotate ~ sounds like transpose matrix, what is not true in this case.

So?  If PostgreSQL had any native matrix processing capabilities this would
maybe warrant a bit of consideration.

​https://github.com/hadley/tidyr

\spread
\unfold
\rotate

Given the role that psql performs I do think \rotate to be the least
problematic choice; I concur that avoiding \pivot is desirable due to SQL's
usage.

David J.