Hi,

The comments for create_foreignscan_path says as follows, but that it's
now possible that the function is called by GetForeignJoinPaths, which
was added in 9.5.

1450 /*
1451  * create_foreignscan_path
1452  *    Creates a path corresponding to a scan of a foreign table,
1453  *    returning the pathnode.
1454  *
1455  * This function is never called from core Postgres; rather, it's
expected
1456  * to be called by the GetForeignPaths function of a foreign data
wrapper.
1457  * We make the FDW supply all fields of the path, since we do not
have any
1458  * way to calculate them in core.
1459  */

So, I've updated the comments.  Please find attached a patch.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita
*** a/src/backend/optimizer/util/pathnode.c
--- b/src/backend/optimizer/util/pathnode.c
***************
*** 1449,1459 **** create_worktablescan_path(PlannerInfo *root, RelOptInfo *rel,

  /*
   * create_foreignscan_path
!  *	  Creates a path corresponding to a scan of a foreign table,
!  *	  returning the pathnode.
   *
   * This function is never called from core Postgres; rather, it's expected
!  * to be called by the GetForeignPaths function of a foreign data wrapper.
   * We make the FDW supply all fields of the path, since we do not have any
   * way to calculate them in core.
   */
--- 1449,1460 ----

  /*
   * create_foreignscan_path
!  *	  Creates a path corresponding to a scan of a foreign table or
!  *	  a foreign join, returning the pathnode.
   *
   * This function is never called from core Postgres; rather, it's expected
!  * to be called by the GetForeignPaths function or the GetForeignJoinPaths