Alvaro Herrera <alvhe...@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Personally I think Alvaro's position is unduly conservative: to the extent
>> that plans change it'd likely be for the better.  But I'm not excited
>> enough to fight hard about it.

> I don't really care enough.  We have received some complaints about
> keeping plans stable, but maybe it's okay.

The other side of the coin is that there haven't been so many requests for
changing this; more than just this one, but not a groundswell.  So 9.5
only seems like a good compromise unless we get more votes for back-patch.

I reviewed the patch and concluded that it would be better to split
compute_minimal_stats into two functions instead of sprinkling it so
liberally with if's.  So I did that and pushed it.