On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 2:52 PM, Joe Conway <m...@joeconway.com> wrote:

> I was looking at something in gram.y when I noticed that the following
> production works:
>

> SET SESSION SESSION CHARACTERISTICS AS TRANSACTION READ ONLY;
>

> "SESSION SESSION" seems fairly odd -- is it intentional?

​Scanning the SET and SET TRANSACTION it doesn't appear to be something
they are documented as allowing.

However, SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION is defined as thus:

​
SET [ SESSION | LOCAL ] SESSION AUTHORIZATION user_name

​which implies that we don't ​take pains to avoid it.  Since:

"The SESSION and LOCAL modifiers are a PostgreSQL extension, as is the
RESET syntax."

The standard doesn't have any undue influence on our particular decision.

David J.