On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 10:24:37AM -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> Folks,
>
> As I was learning how best to add native weighted statistics, coming
> soon, I noticed that our ROWS FROM() constructor takes only
> set-returning functions, gluing the outputs together side by side
> without a join condition of any kind.  This is a handy capability,
> which I don't find elsewhere in our code, modulo horrible things
> involving WITH ORDINALITY and FULL JOIN.
>
> Did I miss something?
>
> If not, would it make sense to allow every set-returning construct
> inside ROWS FROM(), rather than just some of them?

Based on off-list feedback, this proposal is not as clear as I would
have liked.

Here's what we get with SRFs:

SELECT * FROM ROWS FROM (generate_series(1,5,2),generate_series(4,1,-1)) AS
t(i,j);
 i | j
---+---
 1 | 4
 3 | 3
 5 | 2
   | 1
(4 rows)

Here's a similar construct, but not really, from LATERAL:

SELECT * FROM generate_series(1,5,2) AS s(i) FULL JOIN LATERAL
generate_series(4,1,-1) AS t(j) ON s.i=t.j;
 i | j
---+---
 1 | 1
   | 2
 3 | 3
   | 4
 5 |
(5 rows)

What I'd like to do is lift the restriction on ROWS FROM(), which
currently requires that the stuff inside the parentheses set-returning
functions, so constructs something like the following would actually work:

SELECT *
FROM
ROWS FROM (
    (VALUES (...), ..., (...)),