On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 8:18 PM, Alexander Korotkov <
a.korot...@postgrespro.ru> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 6:36 PM, Alexander Korotkov <
> a.korot...@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 6:32 PM, Andres Freund <and...@anarazel.de>
>> wrote:

>>> Did you have a chance to run some benchmarks?
>>>

>> Yes, we now have 60 physical cores intel server and we're running
>> benchmarks on it.
>>

> We got a consensus with Andres that we should commit the CAS version first
> and look to other optimizations.
> Refactored version of atomic state patch is attached. The changes are
> following:
> 1) Macros are used for access refcount and usagecount.
> 2) likely/unlikely were removed. I think introducing of likely/unlikely
> should be a separate patch since it touches portability. Also, I didn't see
> any performance effect of this.
> 3) LockBufHdr returns the state after taking lock. Without using atomic
> increments it still can save some loops on skip atomic value reading.

pinunpin-cas-original-fix.patch is just original patch by Andres Freund
with fixed bug which causes hang.
Performance comparison on 72-cores Intel server in attached. On this
machine we see no regression in version of patch in previous letter.

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company
n_clients,master,pinunpin-cas-original-fix,pinunpin-cas
       1,   18860,   19421,   19972
       8,  162503,  166901,  164363
      16,  316429,  321103,  319214
      36,  627215,  641028,  642854