Andres Freund <and...@anarazel.de> writes:
> Another angle would be trying to reduce the effects of longrunning
> transaction. Right now holding a snapshot open for 100 seconds results
> in profiles like this: ...
> which is pretty extreme. It's not such a seldom thing to hold a snapshot
> (e.g. pg_dump...) open for a while.

Yeah.  I'm afraid blaming ANALYZE for this is just shooting the messenger.
Even in a mostly-OLTP workload there are going to be some long-running
queries, for reporting or whatever.  I think we need to focus on how we
can improve that situation in general, rather than inserting kluges into
ANALYZE (or pg_dump).