On 11/02/2015 09:36 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> writes:
I don't know if this was discussed at the time ALTER SYSTEM was
implemented, but I have just discovered that if postgresql.auto.conf is
a symlink to a file elsewhere, ALTER SYSTEM will happily break that link
and write its own local copy. That strikes me as rather unfriendly. Why
not just truncate the file rather than unlink it as it's being
rewritten? Even if we don't want to do that a warning in the docs might
help users avoid the "mistake" I just made.
Frankly, that behavior strikes me as a good idea.  There is no situation,
IMV, where it's sane to try to put a symlink there.

OK. I was experimenting with some backup procedures, and I have since abandoned the approach I was following. However, it does seem like it's worth documenting the behaviour.

cheers

andrew